--° Loading... Locating...

IDF Admits Forces Fired on Hind Rajab’s Car, Opens Criminal Investigation

Center
Listen to this story on our podcast

The Israeli military acknowledged for the first time on Wednesday that its forces opened fire on the car carrying 5-year-old Hind Rajab in Gaza City in January 2024, and said it has opened a criminal investigation into her death. It’s a reversal of what the IDF had said for nearly two and a half years.

Rajab was one of seven family members in a vehicle in northern Gaza when it came under fire. She survived the initial shooting and spent hours on the phone pleading with Palestinian paramedics to reach her. An ambulance dispatched to rescue her also came under fire. Her body was found twelve days later in a car riddled with bullets.

What the IDF Said Then vs. Now

The military’s original account, issued months after her death, claimed a preliminary inspection found Israeli forces “were not present near the vehicle or within firing range.” That account held for years despite satellite imagery, forensic analysis, and outside investigations indicating an Israeli tank was positioned within close range and fired repeatedly at the car.

Wednesday’s announcement drops that denial. The IDF is now opening a criminal investigation into Rajab’s death and a separate one into the killing of 15 Palestinian paramedics and rescue workers in the same period, while clearing personnel involved in a strike on a World Central Kitchen convoy of wrongdoing.

Why This Is Happening Now

Recorded audio of Rajab’s calls with paramedics circulated widely after her death and became a rallying point for accountability demands. A film built around those calls, The Voice of Hind Rajab, received an Oscar nomination earlier this year, keeping the case in front of an international audience the IDF hasn’t been able to wait out.

The announcement also comes as the IDF’s Military Advocate General’s Corps releases a broader review covering more than 150 wartime incidents. Opening a criminal investigation is a real step, but it’s also the beginning of a process that, in past IDF cases involving civilian deaths, has often taken years and rarely ended in a conviction. Whether this one is different will depend on what the investigation actually produces, not on the announcement itself.

What do you think? Does this admission represent real accountability, or is it a procedural step designed to manage the story rather than resolve it? Let us know your thoughts in the comments on BeezLoop.com!

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Start typing to search

🔔

Stay Updated!

Get instant notifications for breaking news and important stories. We'll keep you informed!