The judge who presided over Karmelo Anthony’s murder trial has been removed from the case as Anthony’s defense pushes for a new trial. Visiting Judge Sid Harle ruled Wednesday that Collin County Judge John Roach should step back from all remaining proceedings, siding with defense attorneys who argued Roach’s conduct after the verdict created an appearance of bias.

Anthony, 19, was convicted in June of murdering 17-year-old Austin Metcalf during a confrontation at a Frisco high school track meet last year, and was sentenced to 35 years in prison. The jury rejected his claim that he acted in self-defense. The fight that led to the stabbing started over Anthony refusing to leave a tent belonging to Metcalf’s team on a rainy day at the meet, with Metcalf and others repeatedly telling him to move before the confrontation escalated.
Why the Defense Wanted Roach Off the Case

Anthony’s new legal team, led by attorney Russell Wilson II, laid out several complaints about Roach’s handling of the trial and its aftermath. During the trial itself, Roach limited media access and restricted the small number of public seats left over once press and family were seated, and issued a gag order barring trial participants from discussing the case publicly, citing the intense scrutiny it was drawing.
The complaint that carried the most weight, though, came after the verdict. Two days after the jury convicted Anthony, and while the window to file a motion for a new trial was still open, Roach gave an interview to WFAA about the case.
Judge Harle said he believed Roach was likely trying to “educate the public,” which conduct rules allow for in some circumstances, but that the interview still didn’t hold up against how a neutral outside observer would view his impartiality going forward. “Under that limited finding, I’m going to grant the recusal,” Harle said.
What Happens Next

A new judge will be assigned to the case before Thursday’s hearing, where the court will take up the actual question of whether Anthony is entitled to a new trial. Anthony has also separately filed a notice of appeal challenging his conviction and sentence, a process that can run for months or longer regardless of how the new-trial motion turns out.
Removing Roach doesn’t say anything about the merits of Anthony’s case. It just means whoever rules on the new-trial request will be someone with no connection to the original trial or its outcome.
Anthony’s Legal Team Speaks After the Ruling
What do you think? Was the trial judge’s post-verdict interview enough to justify pulling him off the case, or is this just a procedural step that won’t change the outcome? Let us know your thoughts in the comments on BeezLoop.com!




